Ben and I have recently read a book by Alice Von Hildebrand in which she discusses her husband’s philosophy of love. One thing that struck us (and something we’ve talked about at length since then) was this:
Pleasure in itself is not evil…But the great task of a truly Christian education is to baptize pleasure, to receive it gratefully as a gift, and not to claim it as a right. There are legitimate pleasures [which call for] gratitude. //Alice von Hildebrand
So in an attempt to be more aware and more thankful of the lovely gifts God has put into my life, I bring you Thankful Thursdays! Each week I will share what I am grateful for. This week I am thankful for:
- Laughs shared with my household sisters.
- The rekindled love and passion for writing, particularly for the enjoyment and magic brought to me in my story of the 25th hour and the mysterious time collector.
- Rainy days and warmer weather
- The sights and sounds of Latin mass on a Sunday morning
- The opportunity to teach one of my favorite books to my students.
- Delicious chocolate mocha beer brewed by my fiance and his best man.
- Graveyard picnics.
- spiritually edifying talks with the love of my life.
- The soreness of callous forming again on a barefoot walk.
- Vintage skirts and corduroy jackets.
- The heartache that comes from suffering with the Beloved; the longing to be with Christ on this night.